On this site the 1843 Tithe map shows a ‘house & garden’ owned and occupied by Mr. William Turner. William Turner was a 33 year old tailor who lived with his wife, Mary and three young children, Benjamin, William and Sarah (1841 census). Also in the same building, but forming a separate household were Francis Heming, William Hawkins and George Jolleff, all tailors, and Eliza Turner, who in later censuses is shown to be a house servant to the Turners. By 1851 William and Mary had had at least five more children – Mary Ann, Maria, Louisa, George and Edwin.
In the Birmingham Daily Post for April 2nd 1878, a house was advertised for sale and it may have been referring to William Turner’s house: “HENLEY-IN-ARDEN (near) . – For Sale, by private treaty, a neat Freehold Villa Residence, situate at Ullenhall Street; containing four bed rooms, parlour, sitting room, kitchen, pantry, cellar, &c. The house stands in an excellent garden, and has also an unfinished cottage adjoining, which could easily be converted into coach-house and stabling. – Apply to Mr. Turner, Ullenhall Street, near Henley-in-Arden”.
Later in the Barrells Estate sale June 26th 1919, it is mentioned that there are two cottages on this site, one single and one double-fronted. The cottages were demolished in the 1960s and Albany built in their place. Over the years the appearance of the bungalow has been altered.
Alne House, Tanworth Lane
Built in 1883 as the caretaker’s cottage for the adjoining Coffee House. The architect was Mr. Lloyd and the builder was Mr. Smallwood. The first caretakers were Mr. & Mrs Coleman.
The 1891 census shows that William and Maria Tyler were managing the Coffee House, living in the adjoining cottage.
Maria Tyler died in 1893 but William Tyler, assisted by his niece, Elizabeth Bower, remained the manager of the Coffee House until he died in 1911.
His death was reported in the Stratford upon Avon Herald “ A link with the past broken – Quite a gloom has been cast over the whole neighbourhood by the lamented demise of Mr. William Tyler, one of the best-known and most respected inhabitants of Ullenhall. . . . The village has sustained a real loss by the death of Mr William Tyler. A gardener by profession, he retired to the Coffee House twenty-three years ago, but his love of outdoor life never deserted him, and so, undeterred by chronic asthma, he was always occupied – often in the garden which has been for many years the admiration of visitors to the Coffee House. Very fond of reading, and with strong opinions, Mr Tyler was yet the embodiment of Christian charity, which, combined with patient cheerfulness and readiness to do anything he could for his neighbours, won him the respect of them all. He went to bed as usual on the evening of the 27th ult., passed peacefully away on the 31st ult., and was laid to rest in the old churchyard on Saturday last – the 82nd anniversary of his birth – leaving behind him the lasting memory of an inspiring example”. [Stratford Herald Fri 9th June 1911].
Mrs Lavinia Ashton was caretaker of the Coffee House for a time, possibly between 1912 to 1918. She lived in the cottage with her husband, Samuel, and their daughters Beatrice and Ivy. They left but returned to live there for a time during the 1920s, along with their son, Arthur (b. 1920).
The Coffee House and cottage was owned by H.G. Newton and was included in the Barrells Estate sale of 1924 (Lot 17 – The Institute and Cafe). It may have been at this time that it was purchased by Mr Allcott.
In 1927 Ullenhall Village Institute was formed. This organisation rented the property then known as ‘Park View’ from Mr Allcott. The Institute employed a caretaker, who was able to live in the adjoining cottage, and in December 1927, Mr. E.Morrall, was appointed. At the Village Institute Committee meeting in June it was decided that the caretaker’s house should be let to Mr & Mrs Morrell at 10 shillings per week. Mrs. Morrell was released from the tenancy in January 1929. Miss Perks became the new caretaker and tenant. She (now Mrs. Jackson) left on May 26th 1931. In September 1931 the Committee chose a new caretaker: “The applicants for the post of Caretaker were then interviewed & Mr Harris was the one selected, at the same rate of remuneration as was paid previously viz 5 shillings per week for work done & the House to be paid rent for at 10 shillings per week”. Mr Harris remained at the house until December 1934. Mrs. Peace was appointed as the new caretaker. With the closure of the Village Institute in March 1935, the minutes record that Mrs Peace would leave the house on March 23rd 1935.
Later, at some point before 1959 the cottage was named ‘Arden Cottage’, and had been purchased by Mr. Haigh.
Arden Croft, Blunts Green
Arden Manor, Gentlemans Lane
Original house, Mockley Close was built c1937 and extended at a later date. This was demolished and replaced with Arden Manor c2011.
Ardenshaw, Perry Mill Lane
Barn Close, Hunger Hill
Bungalow built c1997.
Barncluith, Ramshill Lane
Built early C20.
Formerly the Coach House, Stables and Gardener’s Cottage for Barrells Hall which were built by William Newton sometime between 1856 and 1862. These were included in the sale of the Barrells Estate in 2000. They have been converted into one house.
Although its origins are considerably earlier, the present building is primarily the work of Robert Knight who employed architect Joseph Bonomi to extend the existing manor house during the 1790s. It was in the possession of the Knight family until purchased by Mr William Newton in 1856. The house was sold by the Newton family in 1925. A fire damaged the building on the 25th April 1933 and gradually the house fell into ruin over the next 70 years before it was bought and restored in the early 21st Century.
The original building was built by Mr Patrick Dare in the late 1950s in the grounds of Barrells Hall, he designed it in a Swiss style. He incorporated some of the old stone carving from Barrells Hall into a specially designed hearth, as well as using some of the better of the old bricks.
The property was later purchased by Mr & Mrs John Saville, who put it up for sale in 2000. The land to the property includes the remains of the walled garden to Barrells Hall.
In 2008 planning permission was granted for the demolition of the original building and the erection of a new house. This has been carried out.
Small extensions around 1999 and remodelled and extended in 2004.
Blossomfield, Tanworth Lane
Blunts Green Farm
Grade II Listed. Pre-1649, probably late 16th/early 17th Century with later additions and alterations including extensions to right and rear of 1939.[source: www.imagesofengland.org.uk]
The property formed part of Robert Knight’s Barrels Estate [tithe schedule 1843], and as such was included in the sale of the estate in 1856. It was part of Lot 8, which was bought by Rev. H.C. Knight.
In 1919 it was included in the Ullenhall Estate sale of the late Rev. H. C. Knight, where it sold for £1,575. The tenant at that time was Mr. Mark Reader. Mark Reader and his wife Ellen, had 11 children, 9 of whom were living with them at the farm in 1911 [1911 census].
Extended 2008 with some of the outbuildings converted for holiday lets.
Botley Fields Farm, Tanworth Lane
Botley Hill Farm, Tanworth Lane
“Botley Hill is a late 16th century timber-framed house with a projecting upper storey and porch wing. Near the house are considerable remains of a rectangular moat with water. It was the home of one of the branches of the Burman family for a period of more than 130 years ending in 1864 . . .” [Cooper W. Henley-in-Arden 1946; p161].
Grade II Listed. Formerly moated farmhouse. Early 16th Century with 20th Century rebuilding and renovations with additions to rear. (source: www.imagesofengland.org.uk)
It was included in the Barrells Estate sale of 1856, the tenant being Mr. John Burman. John Burman was unmarried and in 1861 was around 81 years old. By 1871 John Stilgoe, a 37 year old farmer, had moved to Botley Hill, with his wife, Mary, and three sons John (11), Harry (10) and Ralph (7). Also living with them was Thomas Taylor who was an agricultural labourer, and Harriet and Elizabeth Repton (or Ripton), domestic servants. [1871 census].
By 1891 a Thomas Taylor was living and farming there, along with his wife (Louisa), son (Alfred), daughter (Annie) and mother (Ann). Thomas remained at the farm as the family are still there in 1911 – Thomas and Louisa; their 40 year old son Alfred who was working on the farm; their daughter, Annie, now married but doing dairy work on the farm; her husband William Manssuer (a dealer in medicines and health food); and their children Louisa (9) and Alfred (7).
It is not clear when the Taylor’s left the farm. By 1921 [Kelly’s] Bryan Wright is at the farm. He is still there in 1924, and Alfred Brian Wright in the 1930s [Kellys 1932;1936;1940], who might be the same person.
Botley Hill Farm was included in the auction sale of ‘The outlying portions of the Umberslade Estate’, which took place on 7th September 1916: “Lot 3 – An Important FREEHOLD AGRICULTURAL and SPORTING PROPERTY ‘BOTLEY HILL FARM’, with the Two Well-known Fox Coverts ‘RUDHALL’S REINS’”. [Birmingham Daily Post 22/07/1916]. Comprising of the homestead, two fox coverts and land totalling around 181 acres, the property sold for £3, 950 [Birmingham Daily Post 08/09/1916].
In 1950 it was offered for sale by auction “Farm Sold for £180 per Acre, High Price for Henley Property – Botley Hill Farm, Henley-in-Arden extends to an area of 131 acres and was offered for sale by auction at Stratford-on-Avon on Friday, when realised the extremely high price of £23,500. The residence is original 18th Century construction and has been substantially renovated and modernised, and there are excellent buildings and a pair of cottages, whilst an “attested” certificate is held. A bungalow of timber and shingle construction on the boundary of the estate was sold as an additional lot for the sum of £1,200 to the purchaser of the farm. Messrs. Walker Barnard and Son, F.A.I., of Stratford-on-Avon, were the auctioneers and the purchaser was Mr. Barlow, of Wolverhampton.” [September 1950].
Botley House, Tanworth Lane
Built in 1961, along with the adjoining Pear Tree House, by Leonard and Violet Beard (source: Parish Magazine December 1989).
Brickyard Cottage see King Thorpe Lodge
Grade II Listed. Probably 17th Century with addition to right early 18th Century and later additions and alterations including outshuts to rear and alterations mid 20th Century.(source: www.imagesofengland.org.uk)
Brook Cottage, Deans Green (1 Stanley Villas)
Stanley Cottage and Brook Cottage are a pair of houses called ‘Stanley Villas’. Not much is known about them; however the Census (1851-1891) shows the Stanley family living at Deans Green so perhaps there is a connection with them.
Brook House is a grade II listed house which is probably mid C18 with later additions and alterations including C19 bays. [imagesofengland.org.uk]. It is said to have been built by a John Tarleton the elder on a piece of land known as Bedlums Blunt (Bellams Blunt or Bidlams Blunt) “also all that messuage or tenement sometime since erected and Built by the said John Tarleton the elder upon part of the said last mentioned Close”. Bedlums Blunt had been formerly in the occupation of a John Mortiboy and afterwards of a William Godwin. John Tarleton had obtained the land from William Godwin. [Conveyance of a freehold estate at Ullenhall in the County of Warwick called Brook House 11th April 1862 – copy lent by Miles Macnair].
Establishing which John Tarleton this was is difficult but there is a mention of a John Tarleton of Impsley who died around 1803 [DR165/567] so it may have been this gentleman. Gravestones at The Old Chapel also record John Tarleton (formerly of Impsley) died 29/4/1852, aged 95; John Tarleton Jnr formerly of Hall End died 1/6/1846, aged 61; John Tarleton of Wootton Wawen died 23/12/1884, aged 77.
The house was advertised to be sold by auction in November 1835, by direction of Mortgagees under power of sale:
“Lot 6 – A modern-built spacious DWELLING HOUSE, with requisite Outbuildings, Yards, Gardens. &c. and Five Pieces of exceedingly rich Meadow and old Pasture LAND, adjoining the House, called Hosier’s Closes and Bellam’s Piece, containing together 23A. 3R. 17P., most desirably situate in the village of Ullenhall, and now in the possession of Mr John Tarlton, Sen.”[Leamington Spa Courier 10th October 1835]
It is not clear whether the auction went ahead or what happened as the tithe map of 1843 shows that a John Tarleton still owned and occupied the property. On the 1851 census John Tarleton, a widower aged 95, lived at Brook House. He was blind and a freeholder farmer of 24 acres. He lived there with his grandson, another John Tarleton, aged 43, granddaughter Maria, aged 40, and two servants.
A map of 1855 (see Barrells estate sale) shows that the area where Brook House is was part of the ‘Tarleton Mortgages’ and in 1855 a “modern-built family residence with gardens and suitable outbuildings, and about 25 acres of fine old turf and meadow land. Adjoining, now occupied by Mr.William Lucas” was sold by auction under direction of the mortgagees [DR165/567]. John Tarleton of Wootton Wawen purchased it for £1600. In 1861 William Tarleton lived there with his two sisters, Mary Ann and Maria Tarleton [1861 census].
In 1862 Brook House together with four fields – Bedlam’s Blunt, The Long Close, The Hill and The Meadow – were sold by John Tarleton to William Newton for the sum of £2, 250, “. . . all that messuage tenement or dwelling house with the outbuildings yard garden appurtenances thereto belonging called or known by the name of Brook House which said yard and garden with site of the said buildings contain two roods and two perches or thereabouts And also all that piece or parcel of land called or known by the name of Bedlam Blunt containing six acres one rood and seven perches or thereabouts And also all that piece of parcel of land called or known by the name of the Long Close containing seven acres two roods and 28 perches or thereabouts And also all that piece or parcel of land called or known buy the name of the meadow containing three acres 13 perches or thereabouts with the Barn now standing thereon And also all that piece of parcel of land called or known by the name of the Hill containing 8 acres and 34 perches of thereabouts which said pieces of land with the site of the said buildings contain together 25 acres 3 roods and 4 perches and all which said messuages tenement or dwelling house outbuildings pieces of land and hereditaments are situate at Ullenhall in the County of Warwick aforesaid and are know or lately were in the occupation of William Tarleton Mary Ann Tarleton and Maria Tarleton and are more particularly delineated and described as to the shapes and boundaries thereof in the plan drawn on the margin of these presents . . .” [Conveyance of a freehold estate at Ullenhall in the County of Warwick called Brook House 11th April 1862 – copy lent by Miles Macnair].
It therefore became one of the properties of the Barrells Estate. In 1865 it was advertised as “RESIDENCE AND LAND, ULLENHALL – To be LET with immediate possession, THE BROOK HOUSE, a very convenient and commodious Residence; comprising Entrance Hall, Dining and Drawing Rooms, Study, Kitchen, &c., on ground floor, good Cellar, Six Chambers and attics; Stable, Out-offices, good Garden, partly walled, and with or without six Acres of Pasture Land. Ullenhall is distant twelve miles from Birmingham, and two miles from intended Railway Station at Henley-in-Arden. – Apply to Messrs Richard Fowler and son, Land Agents, 14 Bennett’s Hill, Birmingham [The Birmingham Daily Gazette, March 30, 1865]. It may have been at this time that Joseph Cockle and his family moved to the house; Joseph Cockle was a Civil Engineer [1871 census].
Around 1898 Arthur Cotterell Coldicott and his family moved to Brook House. He was land agent for Squire Newton of Barrells Hall. His daughter, Decima Britten, has provided an account of the family’s time in village, which is available to read in the recollections section. Arthur Coldicott left Barrells Hall in 1913 and the family moved to Henley-in-Arden.
In 1919 Brook House was included in Barrells Estate sale when it was purchased by Mr Siddall-Jones. It next came on the market in 1965 and was bought by Mr & Mrs Macnair. They made a few alterations to the house including demolishing the dairy, wash house and well house and replacing it with an office/library. In the early 1990s one of the outbuildings was converted into a self contained dwelling, now called ‘The Coach House’. Needing to down size Mr & Mrs Macnair sold Brook House in 2008. The new owners have also made alterations to the house, including a two storey extension at the back where the office/library was.
Brook View, Tanworth Lane
Brookside, Tanworth Lane
The name was chosen by John & Jill Bazley when they had the house built because the garden had two streams running across it. When they bought the land both of these streams had been piped. The house was completed in August 1961 & the Bazleys moved in on 17th August 1961. Some alterations & rendering in 2008.
An inter-war bungalow.
Camp House see The Old Coffee House
Built 1960s on land that was formally part of the Coffee House garden.
In 1969 Bernard and Dorothy Duckworth moved to Cedar Vale. Mrs Duckworth died in 1994. [Parish Magazine 1994]
Chapel Barn Farm
In 2014 planning permission was given for the demolition of Chapel Barn and the construction of a new house on an adjacent site. Chapel Barn was demolished in April 2016.
Chapel Barn is named on the first series ordnance survey map of 1831, which suggests that it was a substantial building of interest. Part of the building appeared to be of brick built on top of old stone walls.
It was included in the Barrells Estate sale of 1856 in the same Lot as Crowleys Farm. At this time it does not appear to have been a dwelling.
It probably became a dwelling in the latter half of the 19th Century for it is referred to as Chapel Barn in the 1881 census. In 1881 William Harris, an agricultural labourer, lived there with his wife Ann and seven children. Ten years later (1891 census), John Gowing?, who was a gamekeeper, lived there with his family. The 1901 and 1911 census shows that James Styles, a carter or waggoner on the farm, lived at Chapel Barn with his wife and daughters.
In 1919 it was being let to Mr. Charles Friend. He lived at Crowleys Farm and it was probably one of his farm workers who lived in the house. Chapel Barn, described as a smallholding, was included in the Barrells Estate sale of June 26th 1919. It was probably purchased by Mr Friend at this time.
Sales particulars of 1976 stated that “It has been farmed by the Friend family since 1898. The charming cottage style residence is steeped in history having years ago been a Chapel, from which it obviously derives its name, and later the waggoner’s cottage (till 1951) to Crowley’s Farm.”
In 1951 Charles Friend’s son Dudley moved to Chapel Barn, along with his wife Mrs Friend, who was headmistress of the village school. After the death of Dudley, and their son Martin, Mrs Friend decided to move to Devon in 1976. Chapel Barn was then farmed by the Turner family.
Alterations in the late twentieth century.
Chapel Gate Farm
The original Chapel Gate Farm appears to have been built sometime between 1814 and 1831; it does not seem to be on Dawson’s map of the area in 1814 but the first series ordnance survey map of 1831 shows a building on the site.
The land on which Chapel Gate Farm is built was once part of the Umberslade estate of the Archers. A book of plans of Estate in Warwickshire shows Great Chappel Close (the field on which the house is built) along with two fields on the opposite side of the lane to the chapel, Marlpit Close and Little Chappel Close referred to as ‘The Land at Ullenhall Chapel now 1708 in Mr Hopkins his Tenure or Undertenant’. In 1765 it was in the tenure of ‘Lea’ [DR37/vol11].
The tithe map and schedule of 1843 showed that this house was then owned by Robert Knight; the occupier was John Hall.
The farm, known as ‘The Chapel House’ was included in the Barrells Estate sale of 1856 [DR57/23]. At this time the tenant was John Yeomans. It was purchased by Rev. H. C. Knight and became part of his ‘Ullenhall Estate’. John Yeomans remained as the tenant; in 1861 he was 33 years old and lived there with his wife, Caroline and children George (6), Martha (3) and William (1) [1861 census]. A half years rent was £14 [DR1110/30].
Parts of the Ullenhall Estate were offered for auction in 1875, [DR1110/33] including Chapel House Farm which at that time was occupied by Mr John Burton on a yearly tenancy. The farm consisted of the house and land totalling 21 acres 2 roods and 5 perches. These were the fields known as Puck Hills, Marl Pit Close, Little Chapel Close and Great Chapel Close, as well as a separate small parcel of land measuring just 10 perches.
The property was either withdrawn from sale, or failed to sell. Around this time the value of land had begun to depreciate and agricultural prospects were poor [DR1110/34].
‘Chapel Farm’ was again offered for sale in the Ullenhall Estate sale of the late Rev. H. C. Knight on July 10th 1919. The tenant at that time was William Tomlin. He had been the tenant since at least 1896 [Kellys Directories] when the farm was referred to as ‘Chapel gates’. At the sale it sold for £1,750 [Stratford Herald 11/07/1919].
In 1929 newly weds Horace and Grace Summers moved to the farm. Horace’s father had recently purchased it.
[The Stratford-upon-Avon Herald 9th August 1929]
Horace and Grace had five children Freda, John, Jean, Rosemary and Gillian. Horace farmed the surrounding land; he had a herd of friesian cattle. When he died in 1968, Grace continued to run the farm helped by her son-in-law Adolf. Adolf had come to work on the farm as a displaced person from Latvia after the Second World War and he and Jean had married.
In the early 1980s, needing to retire, Mrs Summers sold the farm to Ivor and Jill Huckerby. The original farmhouse was knocked down and replaced with the present building.
Chapel Gate Lodge
This parcel of land has long been connected to Chapel Gate Farm. In 1875 Chapel House Farm, as it was known then, was offered for sale by auction [DR1110/33]. The farm consisted of the house and land totalling 21 acres 2 roods and 5 perches. A small parcel of land measuring just 10 perches was included and this is the piece of land where Chapel Gate Lodge stands.
In 1959 Miss Barber came to Ullenhall and lived in her caravan on this site until she died in 1982. (source: Parish Magazine July 1982) The present building was erected in the mid 1980s.
One of three houses built as part of the redevelopment of the school site. The school building and playing field were sold in 1995. The junior classroom, built in 1959, was demolished and Cherry Trees stands on the site of this classroom and the school playground.
Church Hill (1-4)
These are early council houses. Unlike the council houses opposite, which were demolished and replaced by St. Marys Close, they were apparently saved from demolition as although they were older they were of sounder design. Instead they were modernised in the 1970s. With the introduction of the right to buy in 1980 some tenants were able to purchase their homes.
Church Park Farm
Built early 1980s on land once owned by Lady Wareing of Heath Lodge.
Church View Cottage
A mid-17th Century cottage. In the mid-19th Century (Tithe map) it was described as a House, garden and shop and was owned by Samuel Johns, who was a wheelwright.
College Farm, Blunts Green
On the 1843 tithe map and schedule the land where College Farm is situated is shown to be owned by Kings College Cambridge. There is no mention of a house; nor can one be seen on the Ordnance Survey first series map of 1831. The tithe schedule shows that the occupier is Thomas Adcock who appears to have been farming the land and that surrounding it, a mixture of arable, pasture and meadowland. Thomas Adcock is the occupier of what is now known as ‘Shepherds Cottage’ (near to the Old Chapel), which was also owned by Kings College Cambridge, so it is likely that he lived there.
College Farm must have been built sometime between 1843 and 1887, as it is on the os map of 1887.
The 1891 census shows that John Tomlin was living at College Farm, Blunts Green. He was 68 years old and a farmer, who lived there with his wife Sarah, and son, Charles.
In 1920 College Farm, referred to as Blunts Green Farm, was part of an auction of property of Kings College Cambridge. At that time the tenant was Mr. Thomas Owen Bagshaw, whose father farmed at Impsley Farm. He had been the tenant since c1916 [Kelly’s Directory]. In 1929 he married Ada Reader, who had been brought up at nearby Blunts Green Farm. They farmed the surrounding land; Ada Bagshaw lived at the farm until she died in 1986 [Ullenhall Parish Magazine April 1986].
College Farm, Forde Hall Lane see Mockley Manor
An inter-war bungalow with later additions.
Crowley’s Cottages (1 & 2)
Grade II Listed. 17th Century with 19th Century additions to ends.(source: www.imagesofengland.org.uk)
Two cottages belonging to St. Mark’s Charity. A report for the Charity dated 1865 stated that “The two cottages near to Ullenhall Street occupied by Thomas Hood and Thomas Lee in good repair, the front gates excepted. These tenants are much inconvenienced for want of water. They pay an annual rent of £3 each.”
Crowley’s Close (1-10)
Housing for people with a local connection – some to rent, some shared ownership – built by the English Villages Housing Association in 1992-93. At the time there was quite a debate in the village as to whether these houses should be built. The debate was whether there was sufficient local demand for low cost housing and whether this need outweighed the concerns of building on part of a field in the Green Belt and behind other people’s houses. The issue was featured on Central News one evening with the reporter interviewing several residents. This can be viewed on Youtube.
Crowley’s Farm Barns (1-5)
The barns behind the farmhouse were converted into five dwellings by local builder Chris Judge in the early 1990s. An interesting description of the farm buildings as they were in 1919 can be found in the particulars for the Barrells Estate Sale of 1919.
Crowley’s Farmhouse is believed to stand on the site of a medieval moat of which little remains (Warwickshire Sites & Monuments Record).
It is likely therefore that the farmhouse stands on the site of an older building or buildings. An early reference to a property is in 1771 when William Smith was the tenant (DR225/81). In 1794 “Forty four Ash and eight Elms, standing on Crawley’s Farm, in Ullenhall, in the County of Warwick” were part of an auction of timber and underwood held at the Swan Inn, Henley-in-Arden on Wednesday 15th January. (Oxford Journal 4/1/1794).
It was part of Robert Knight’s estate and in 1808 the tenant was Benjamin Applebee (DR225/22). In 1818 there is reference to materials from old buildings on Crowlies Farm, then pulled down or to be pulled down, which suggests that some alterations were taking place. [DR225/44]
It was still owned by Robert Knight in 1843 (tithe schedule), the tenant being Joseph Yeomans. Joseph Yeomans was a tenant of a number of Robert Knight’s properties and land. On the farm he kept sheep, cattle, pigs and poultry, the latter of which was subject to a court case:
“STEALING A GOOSE – John Court, . . ., was charged with attempting to steal a goose, value (illegible), the property of Mr. Joseph Yeomans, farmer, of Ullenhall. The prosecutor stated that on the 20th August last he had a flock of geese in an enclosed field near his house, and between five and six o’clock in the evening he met the prisoner with one of them under his arm, trying to put it into his jacket pocket; but as soon as he saw him (Mr. Yeomans) he dropped it. Prosecutor then gave an alarm, and after running over two or three fields caught the prisoner, whom he had never lost sight of. Court, in defence, said he was in search of another man, and seeing the geese, had given them some “crumbles” out of his jacket pocket, but he denied having touched one of them. – William Adams, a fish-hook and needle maker, of Redditch, gave the prisoner a character for honesty during the last 20 years. – The jury found him guilty, and he was sentenced to six months imprisonment in the House of Correction, hard labour”. [Leamington Spa Courier 21/10/1848].
In 1850 Joseph left ‘Crowlies Farm’ and there was an auction to sell his livestock and farming implements (The Birmingham Journal 26th October 1850).
In 1851 Mr. Richard Green was the tenant. He lived at Crowley’s Farm with his wife, Maria, their four children, Ann (11), Mary (9), Charles (7) and Sarah (4). Also living with them at the property were Maria Grantham, House Servant, and Richard Pardington, Henry Townsand?, and Charles Beesley, Farm Servants. The property was included in the Barrells Estate sale of 1856 when Richard Green was still the tenant. Along with several other properties from the Barrells Sale, it was purchased by Mr William Palmer.
Following the death of Mr Palmer, Crowley’s Farm was part of his estate which was put up for auction in 1869:
“Lot 3 – An extensive AGRICULTURAL ESTATE, known as “CROWLEY’S FARM,” Ullenhall, all lying admirably together, and surrounded by good roads, the greater part of which is rich, productive MEADOW and Old TURF LAND; the whole containing about 223 Acres.
The Farm House, which is of a very substantial character, suitable for a Gentleman’s Residence, is situated close to the village of Ullenhall, adjoining the main road, contains pleasant Dining and Drawing Rooms, Hall, Dairy, Pantry, Kitchen, Brewhouse, Ale and Wine Cellars, four Chambers, three Attics, Cheese and Store Rooms, Closet, &c.
The Garden and Pleasure Grounds are well laid out and planted.
The Farm Buildings include twenty two-tie Cow-houses and Calf Pen, four-tie Feeding House, and Chaff Room over, double-bay Barn, Coach-house, two-stalled Hackney Stable and Loose Box, Saddle Room, Root House, eight-stalled Stable and Loft, Tackle Room, Chaff House, Wagon Hovel and Granary over, Cart Shed, five Pigsties, and spacious enclosed Fold and Rick Yard.
In the Grounds there is a comfortable Labourer’s COTTAGE, with Feeding Shed, Barn, &c., and Fold Yard attached.
. . .”
(The Birmingham Daily Post and Journal 10th July 1869).
T.H.G. Newton of Barrells Park bought all the property at the auction [Berrow’s Worcester Journal 31st July 1869].
In1891 Arthur Cotterill Coldicott lived at Crowley’s Farm. He was the Estate Agent for Mr. T.H.G. Newton of Barrells Hall and later moved to Brook House.
Around 1898 the Friend family moved to Crowley’s. Charles Friend was a farmer and lived there with his wife and children. They also had a housemaid, Elizabeth Squire (1901 census). In 1911 Charles Friend was still farming at the property and his two sons, Henry and Dudley, were working on the farm with him.
The property was part of H.G. Newton’s sale of his Barrells Estate of June 26th 1919. At this time Mr Charles Friend was still the tenant and it is likely that he purchased the property. Dudley Friend later took over from his father, and lived at Crowleys until 1951 when his family moved to Chapel Barn.
In the 1950s Arthur and Ann Ashley came to live at Crowley’s Farm, and lived there until 1989 when Ann, her daughter Oldyth, and grandson, Mark left the village.
Crowley’s Oak see Papillon Hall
Built in the early 1960s, possibly by Alfred and Maude Tisdale who bought the land from Kenneth Barrington Biddle.
Deans Green Cottage, Deans Green
Deans Green Cottage, which was once a pair of cottages, is hidden away on the corner at Deans Green. Dawson’s map of Henley-in-Arden of 1814 [www.bl.uk] shows a building on this site, which is probably the cottages so they would pre-date 1814.
The tithe schedule of 1843 describes the property as cottage, garden and orchard, in the ownership of John Page and in the occupation of Thomas Edgington. On the 1841 census Thomas Edginton was 55 years old, an agricultural labourer, who lived with his wife, Hannah, and 9 year old Elizabeth Edgington, possibly their daughter.
In 1852 a number of properties were advertised to be sold by auction, under the Will of the late Mr. John Page. The description of two of the cottages sound as though they could have been Deans Green Cottage: “Lot III – All those TWO COTTAGES and GARDENS, situate at DEAN’S GREEN, with Cow Hovels, an excellent Orchard, well planted with thriving Fruit Trees, and a Close of Land thereto belonging, adjoining to and communicating a long frontage to the public road leading towards Henley- in Arden; one of which Cottages, with a Garden and the Orchard and Close of Land, are in the occupation of THOMAS EDINGTON, and the other Cottage and Garden are unoccupied.” [Leamington Courier 5/6/1852].
The property either failed to sell or was withdrawn as they were advertised again in 1855, by this time the unoccupied cottage was in the occupation of John Edington. [Leamington Courier 14/4/1855]
The finance act (circa 1910) shows that the cottages were then owned by G. Thompson. George Richmond and his family lived in one of them. The cottage was a three roomed cottage. George and his wife Jane had eleven children, nine of whom were still alive in 1911. Living with them in 1911 were daughters Louisa (17) and Dora (13), sons Clifford (22) and Alfred (16), and grandson, Ernest (11 months). Ernest’s mother was George and Jane’s daughter Hester. A few years later Hester had another child and had to take her case to the Henley-in-Arden magistrates to obtain maintenance – “The maintenance of a child – Hester Richmond, single woman, of Dean’s Green Hockley Heath, applied for an order of maintenance in respect of a child (a girl), the defendant being William George Henry Tomlin, of Gentleman’s Lane, Ullenhall. The matter was contested with spirit on both sides, Mr Philip Baker appearing for the applicant – Eventually an order for the payment of 2s 6d a week until the usual age, and with no special costs, was made”. [Stratford-upon-Avon 31/07/1914].
The two cottages were later made in to one and slightly extended.
One of four bungalows built in the mid 1960s.
Elm Lodge, Redditch Road
Elm Tree Farm
In 1814 Green’s Cottage & Meadow was purchased by Robert Knight from John Green. At that time it was in the occupation of (blank) Smith, Glazier and consisted of 1 acre 30 perches. [DR225/91]. On the Tithe Map of 1843 it was described as a house, garden and pound, in the occupation of William Smith. Robert Knight was still the owner, so consequently it was included in the sale of the Barrells Estate 1856.
It was purchased by Rev. H.C. Knight and became part his ‘Ullenhall Estate’. The Ullenhall Estate was offered for auction in 1875 and the cottage, garden and adjacent field of pasture totalling 1 acre 32 perches was offered for sale. From the sales particulars it can be seen that a Mr Hemming was the tenant at that time [DR1110/33]. Joseph Hemming was 64 years old, an agricultural labourer who had been born in Ullenhall. He lived with his wife Mary Ann and fifteen year old son, Charles [1871 census].
The property either failed to sell or was withdrawn as it was included in the Ullenhall Estate sale of the late Rev. H. C. Knight July 10th in 1919 (Lot 6). The tenant at that time was Mr John Taylor. John Taylor had lived at the farm with his parents. He married in 1911 and by 1914 they had three children Dorothy, May, Austen; their fourth child Gladys was to come along in later, a late hatching she would say. The girls remained in the village; Dorothy married Bernard Duckworth and they lived first at Elmhurst, Ramshill Lane and later Cedar Vale; May married Gordon Hemming and lived at Mockley Manor Farm; and Gladys married Tom Brockenshire and lived at 8 St. Marks Close. Mr and Mrs Taylor ran a smallholding from Elm Tree Farm with cows, pigs and poultry and a milk round.
It is perhaps interesting to note that on the 1938 ordnance survey map the lane that Elm Tree Farm is on is labelled Gentlemans Lane. A postcard sent to a young Dorothy Taylor in 1924 from Miss Crookes, the village schoolteacher who had recently retired, also puts the address as Gentlemans Lane.
Various extensions during the 1970s, ‘80s and’90s.
Elmcroft was originally a bungalow built sometime between the wars. Soon after their marriage in 1937 Fred and Nesta Tomlin moved in to the bungalow [Parish Magazine Feb 1992]. When Fred Tomlin died in 1992 the bungalow was sold. It was then demolished and the current house was built.
Elmhurst, Ramshill Lane
In 1941 Bernard and Dorothy Duckworth moved to Elmshurst (Dorothy had been brought up at nearby Elm Tree Farm). At Elmshurst they farmed in a small way with poultry and goats. In 1969 they moved to Cedar Vale. [Parish Magazine June 1994]
Built by Mr & Mrs Everiss c1976, possibly replacing a previous building as the 1938 OS Map indicates one.
One of three houses built as part of the redevelopment of the school site. The school building and playing field were sold in 1995. The junior classroom, built in 1959, was demolished and Eostra stands on the site of this classroom and the school playground.
One of four bungalows built in the mid 1960s.
Far End, Ullenhall Lane
Built c1988, replacing a cottage.
Farfield, Moat House Lane
Farthing Cottage, Redditch Road
In 1843 Farthing Cottage appears to have been three cottages; the tithe schedule of that date describes it as ‘three cottages, garden, and pleck’ owned by William Hughes. William Hughes was also listed as being one of the occupiers. On the 1851 census Sarah Hughes, a 76 year old widow who was a cowkeeper, is shown to be living at Hungerhill. In another cottage lived George Hughes, a farmer of 14 acres, with his wife Lucy and son George. Whilst in another cottage lived Thomas Hughes with his wife and daughter, Jane and Mary Ann. It is possible therefore that members of the Hughes family were at that time living in each of the cottages.
The finance act map and schedule c1910 shows that at that time Farthing Cottage was two cottages. One of the cottages was owned by Mrs M R Stanley and occupied by J. Stanley. This was presumably Mary Stanley and her husband Joseph as on the 1911 census they are shown to be living at Hunger Hill. Joseph was 71 years old, his occupation was a ‘hawker’; Mary was 68 years old; living with them was one of their ten children, 22 year old James who was a Butcher.
The other cottage was owned by the trustees of H.C.Knight and occupied by Alfred Burley [Finance Act]. This cottage was included in the sale of the late Rev. H.C. Knight’s Ullenhall Estate in 1919:
“Lot 13 – Well-situated Cottage known as ‘Ivy Cottage’ situate at Hunger Hill, near Henley-in-Arden, and containing Living Room, Pantry, two Bedrooms, Wash House, usual Out Offices and good Kitchen Garden and Well of water, which is shared with the adjoining cottage; pt 856 on the OS Map (1887 edition). The whole containing an area of 24 perches, or thereabouts. Let to Mr. T.T. Cox, a yearly Michaelmas tenant, at an apportioned rent of £3 10s 0d”. [DR225/111].
Mr T. Cox was probably not living at this cottage as he was also the tenant at Hall End Farm.
By 1938[OS County Series Map] it looked as though some of the buildings had been taken down and it was now just one cottage. This cottage has been extended.
Built c.1959 for Mr & Mrs Humphries, who lived there with their family until 1964. They called the house ‘Farthings’, apparently a reference to how much money they had left when they moved in! [information provided by Mike Humphries].
In the Barrells Estate Sale of 1919 the land on which Farthings is built was part of Lot 16 and consisted of a garden in the occupation of Mr Tatnall, who lived at the shop and house opposite (now The Old Stores), and a small paddock in the occupation of Mr. Friend, who farmed at Crowleys Farm.
Fern Cottage, Hunger Hill
Fernbank, Tanworth Lane
Built early 1980s on land once owned by Lady Wareing of Heath Lodge.
One of three houses built as part of the redevelopment of the school site. The school building and playing field were sold in 1995. The junior classroom, built in 1959, was demolished and Field House stands on the site of part of the school playing field. For a short time this house was known as Blumschein.
Built 1967 in what looks to be the garden of a cottage that Albany replaced.
Built on the site of The Vicarage circa 1975. Field’s Edge was previously known as Carlton Garth.
The Vicarage was designed by architect John Pollard Seddon and built in 1875. It was designed in the Gothic Revival style and had an octagonal central hall. It was sold by the church diocese in February 1973 and subsequently demolished. Two houses, Mulberry House & Field’s Edge were later built on the site.
The inhabitants of this property are subject to an original covenant made in 1973, at the time that the Vicarage & land was sold by the Coventry Diocese. This states that the property cannot be given a name which might suggest that the property is owned or occupied by the incumbent; the property cannot be used as a place of amusement, hotel, tavern, inn or public house; and that no act, deed, matter or thing shall occur on the property that would be a nuisance, annoyance or disturbance to the minister conducting or the congregation attending divine service in the Parish Church.
One of four bungalows built in the mid 1960s.
Fosters Farm was built in 1868 on land belonging to Rev. H.C. Knight. He had purchased the land, as part of Lot 11 Henley Farm, at the Barrels Estate in the sale of 1856. At that time the farmhouse for Henley Farm was situated on Henley high street.
The land on which Fosters Farm was built was part of approximately 44 acres of land which was purchased from Mr. H.B.J. Wilson in 1837 for the uses of the Will of Earl Catherlough (i.e. it became part of the Barrels Estate). A plan of the land [DR225/92], which belonged to Mssrs Wilson and Greswolde dated April 1831, showed that it consisted of 9 parcels of land known as Near Bensons; Middle Bensons; Further Bensons; Barn, Cowsheds, Fold & Rick Yard; Little Hop Meadow; Foredrift; Great Hop Meadow; Hop Yard Close; The Hop Yard.
In 1837 the land was described as “All those nine several Closes pieces or parcels of land situate lying and being in the Hamlet of Ullenhall in the parish of Wootton Wawen in the County of Warwickshire containing 44 2 24 and then in the tenure or occupation of Edward Cooper the younger as tenant to said William Henry Bowen Jordan Wilson with the Barn and Cowshed standing thereon and which said lands and heredts were called and known by the name of Forsters Farm . . .”. [DR886/15]. It was purchased for £2071.91.1.
The tithe map and schedule of 1843 shows that the tenant of these parcels of land, owned by Robert Knight, was still Edward Cooper. He continued as Robert Knight’s tenant. A lease agreement of 1853 shows that he leased the “Farm called Henley Farm with the Tenter Closes, Fosters and Shreeves Closes, . . .”. [DR225/49]. Therefore the ‘Forsters Farm’ land was effectively part of Henley Farm. The 9 parcels of land from the original 1831 plan were now being known as The Bentons; Great Fosters; Little Fosters; Barn Meadow; Long Meadow; Hop Yard. The yearly rent was £252. 14s. and also included that “. . . The said Edward Cooper to do three days customary Team labour for the said Robert Knight with a Team of four horses, a Man and Boy to accompany the same. . . .”.
In 1856 Robert Knight’s Estate was offered for sale by auction. Most of the land shown in the lease agreement of 1853 was included as part of Lot 11 – Henley Farm. This Lot was purchased by Rev. H.C. Knight.
Fosters Farmhouse was built in 1868 near to the barn, cowsheds, fold and rick yard.
In 1871 the tenant of Fosters Farm was Stephen Hattin, a farmer who farmed 110 acres of land. By the late 1870s a Mr Findlay was at Foster’s Farm.
“Stratford on Avon County Court – An Irishman’s View of a Contract. – Michael Carroll v. A.P. Findlay. – Plaintiff, who is an Irish labourer, sued the defendant who occupies Foster’s farm, Ullenhall, for £2, balance of amount for wages. – Mr Warden appeared for the plaintiff. – The plaintiff stated that his agreement with the defendant was for 16s. a week and a sovereign extra for haymaking. He remained until the haymaking was over, and when he asked for his extra pound, the defendant said that the extra pound was to be given when the hay and corn harvests were over. – Cross-examined by Mr Warden: The terms were 16s. a week and a pound extra after hay harvest – not “after harvest.” He began hay-making in the latter end of June or the beginning of July. He left defendant’s service on Saturday, the 31st of August. On the Wednesday previous to leaving he was mowing grass. On the day he left he was mowing spring vetches. He could not remember whether he was mowing grass on the Thursday. – His Honour: Whether you were mowing on the Wednesday or Thursday, when was the grass which you last mowed carried? – Plaintiff: It came wet weather; I cannot tell. I left on Saturday. – His Honour: You left before it was carried. – Plaintiff: Yes. It came very wet. The plaintiff went on to say that on the Saturday before he left, the defendant told “another Irish chap,” who was with him, that they could leave whenever they liked, and that when he left all the hay-making was done, except an acre and a quarter. – His Honour said he did not believe this latter statement. If it had been true it was so important that it would have been introduced earlier, and not tacked on to the end of the case. Plaintiff was out of Court by his own showing, as he had not completed the bargain in any sense. He had undertaken to see the hay harvest through, and he left before it was completed. – His Honour directed a non-suit to be entered”. [Leamington Spa Courier 21/9/1878].
By 1888 (Kellys Directory) Joseph Henry Harris was living at the farm with his wife, Elizabeth, and an agricultural labourer, William King (1891 census). Joseph Harris remained at the farm until the 1920s.
In 1938 Fosters Farm was included in a sale of property of the late Rev. H.C. Knight.
“By the direction of the Beneficiaries of the Estate of the late Rev. H.C. Knight, Henley-in-Arden, – Tuesday, Sept 27th 1938 to be sold by auction:
Lot 5 – Freehold Dairy Holding known as Foster’s Farm.
Having a valuable frontage of about 980 yards to the Ullenhall Road. With a comfortable house built in 1868 and suitable farm buildings, the whole having an area of 120a 2r 16p or thereabouts.
The accommodation of the House, which is brick built with a slated roof consists of hall, two sitting rooms, kitchen, back kitchen, with white-ware sink and two coppers; dairy, pantry, three bedrooms and two attic rooms.
There are also a partly covered yard, coal house, E.C. and a well of water with pump.
The Farm Buildings comprise 2 brick and slated pigsties, cart hovel with granary over, timber built cow houses for 14, brick and tiled loose box, barn and cattle pen, stable for 4 with loft over, timber built and tiled 8-tie cow house, bull pen, fowl house and 6-bay Dutch barn.
Let to Mr. H.S. Jones on an annual Michaelmas tenancy at a rent of £182 – 0 – 0 per annum
Electricity is available from overhead mains which cross the land”. [DR225/112]
At this time it was let to Mr. H.S.Jones. By 1932 (Kellys Directory) a Samuel Jones had taken over the tenancy. The Kellys Directories of 1936 and 1940 list Mrs Rose Jones and son at Fosters Farm. The Jones family may have purchased the property at the 1938 sale or continued as tenants.
Although the farm was let to the Jones family (and possibly bought by), they did not always live at Fosters Farm. From circa 1937 – 1940 Harry Jones employed Jack Morse to work on the farm and he lived in the farmhouse with his wife Louisa, and five children Dennis, Jean, Peggy, Heather and Mollie. Heather recalled that Dennis was meant to help his father on the farm but didn’t really; there was another farm labourer who lived in a cabin. The farm had sheep and cattle. The family lived in the farmhouse, which was a nice house to live in, although they could not use the dining room or attic rooms as the Jones family had furniture stored there. It was a lovely place for young children to grow up in – the girls used to milk a cow to get milk to feed the farm kittens; they had a swing hanging in the barn; they walked over the fields to school in Henley; their father used to trap rabbits for their meals and on the way to school they would move the dead rabbits to make it look like two had been caught in a trap; a headmaster from Birmingham used to bring children from Birmingham to see what a farm and the countryside was like.
Four Acres, Blunts Green
In 2011 planning permission was granted to Malcolm and Ruth Aldridge for the erection of a new dwelling and detached garage. This house replaced a bungalow, known as ‘The Bungalow’. This bungalow, known as ‘The Bungalow, Blunts Green’, was built between the wars and a market garden business was run from here.
Foxhill, Forde Hall Lane
Originally a bungalow built in the 1950s. Replaced in the 1990s by a house built by local builder Chris Judge.
Further Hill Grange, Ullenhall Lane
Built by Mr. and Mrs Haselor (probably 1930s). (source: Parish Magazine Nov 1979)