Gentlemans Lane House
Grade II Listed. 17th Century, re-fronted 19th Century.(source: www.imagesofengland.org.uk)
On the tithe schedule (1843) the owners of the ‘house, garden and croft’ are shown to be Thomas Adkins and Thomas Pinches.
In 1865 the property was advertised to be sold at auction by direction of the Representatives of the late Mrs Adkins: “A COTTAGE, with Gardens and Outbuildings, and a Field of OLD TURF LAND, situate in Gentleman’s Lane, and Two Fields of Rich OLD TURF LAND, in the road leading therefrom, to the village of Ullenhall, containing together five acres or thereabouts, now and for many years in the occupation of Mr Tomlins, Carrier”. (Birmingham Journal 23/09/1865).
Presumably this was Henry Tomlin (Tomblin on the 1861 census) who in 1861 was 63 years old and a Market Carrier. He travelled to Birmingham on Mondays and Thursdays, and Stratford on Fridays [Whites Directory of Warwickshire 1850]. He lived there with his wife, Elizabeth; 15 year old son George; 15 year old Sarah, possibly daughter or granddaughter; and 9 year old granddaughter Ann.
The following information is taken from an article written by Mr. Fred Colley for the Parish Magazine, June 1998:
“Gentlemans Lane House was purchased in 1878 by Mr. George Tomlin, who ran a carters business. Photographs show that on the roadside in front of the house were stables suitable for eight horses and also a hovel for coaches. When the decline for coach & horse travel ceased he turned his hand to the farm. The house remained in the family for over 100 years with George’s son, Walter, taking over the farm and then Walter’s nephew William Sadler”.
Billy Sadler farmed his own land in Perry Mill Lane and the fields he rented opposite his house. He kept sheep, cattle and poultry. He also had horses as his wife, a nurse was a keen horsewoman. [Parish Magazine Nov 1990].
After Billy Sadler died in 1990 the house was sold and has been significantly altered and extended.
Sales Particulars, 1990 Please note the photograph of the house is inverted horizontally, presumably the negative was developed incorrectly.
Glenfield, White Pump Lane
Built in 1932.
Glenfield Farm, White Pump Lane
Green Wayside, Tanworth Lane
Greenacres, Redditch Road
Greenacres, Ullenhall Lane
Greenacres Bungalow, Ullenhall Lane
Greenlands, Perry Mill Lane
Greenlanes, Henley Road
Built by Mr Bomber whose father farmed at Mount Pleasant Farm. It was built on the edge of Mount Pleasant land (source: Parish Magazine August 1986).
Greenways, Perry Mill Lane
Built by Mr. & Mrs. Lambourne after the Second World War.
Hall End Farm
Hall End Farm is a farmhouse that stands alone, nestled amongst fields and woodland . However it was not always so isolated; a conveyance map of 1778 [DR1110/10] showed some cottages to the east of the farm; buildings can also be seen on Dawson’s map of 1814. However it appears that most of these had gone by the time of the tithe map in 1843, although a ‘pleck, hovel &c’ is recorded there. These cottages were alongside what is now the bridleway which leads from Hall End Farm to Little Hallend.
Archaeological surveys have shown that Hall End Farm is situated in an area close to a possible deserted medieval and post medieval settlement. There are indications of house platforms south of the farm; remains of ridge and furrow, and two hollow-ways can also be seen . North west of the farm are the probable remains of fishponds [MWA 989 & MWA990 – Warwickshire Sites & Monuments Record].
The farmhouse itself is a grade II listed building, dating from the 16th and 17th centuries, with later additions and alterations including 19th century rebuilding to the right gable-end wall [www.imagesofengland.org.uk].
In 1779 ‘the Hall’ or ‘Hall Farm’ was sold to Thomas Fisher Esq of Hampton-in-Arden. It was sold by the trustees of the will, and heirs in law, of Benjamin Palmer, late of Solihull.[DR1110/10] As well as the farm house and buildings a total of 205a 2r 13p was acquired by Mr Fisher. The property was later in the possession of Miss Letitia Martha Moland [DR1110/24] who in 1837 sold it for the uses of the Will of Earl Catherlough, ie it became part of Robert Knight’s Barrels Estate.
The document of 1779 conveys “the manor of Ullenhall, with a capital messuage and lands . . . called the Hall, or Hall Farm” [DR1110/10] and a later document refers to Hall End Farm as a manor house “All that the manor of Ulnallhall otherwise Ullenhall . . . and also all that Capital Messuage or Manor House with the Barns Stables Buildings Gardens Orchards and Fold yards thereto belonging commonly called the Hall . . .” [DR110/24]
Former tenants included Francis Dawes and Thomas Bolt [DR1110/24] but in the late eighteenth and early nineteenth century John Booth was the tenant of Hall End Farm. He was a farmer, married to Mary, a churchwarden of Beaudesert for a number of years and a chapelwarden of Ullenhall in 1796. John Booth had at least eight children and in 1808 a tragedy struck the family. His son John, who helped on the farm, was found in a stable on the farm; he had severe head wounds and died. At first it was thought that he he been kicked by one of the horses but after a while suspicion fell on another son, William, who had been visiting his family. William was arrested for murder and was tried at Warwick Assizes. [Cooper W – Henley-in-Arden 1946 p163]. A fuller account of the incident is in the ‘miscellaneous’ section of the website.
The tithe map and schedule of 1843 shows that the property was owned by Robert Knight, as part of his Barrells Estate, and occupied by Mrs Charlotte King. Charlotte King was a 39 year old widow, whose occupation on the 1841 census was farmer. She had four young children – William (10), Walter (8), Emma (6) and Charlotte (4) [1841 census]. By 1851 Charlotte King had married Edmund Hinks, a farmer, and they were still living at the farm with her children, two farm servants and a house servant.
The property was part of the Barrells Estate and was included in the Barrells Estate sale of 1856. At this time it was known as Great Allend Farm and was in the occupation of Samuel Bott. It was purchased by Rev. H.C. Knight and became part of his Ullenhall Estate.
New buildings were built around 1858. These included privies near to the house and a collection of farm buildings arranged in a rectangle around a central fold. These farm buildings included a Nag stables, sick box, feeding stalls, area for calves, turnip house, barn, a cart house with granary over, area for fodder, cart horse stable and pig sties. [DR225/97]. These farm buildings still exist.
The tenancy changed hands a number of times. In 1872 a tenancy agreement for Great Hallend Farm between Rev. H.C. Knight and Newton Pratt, a farmer, stated that the yearly rent would be £321.18s.0d for the 222 acres containing the house, barns, stables, buildings, garden and arable, meadow and pasture land. An additional £20 would have to be paid for every acre of meadow or pasture converted to tillage, and £20 for every timber tree cut down, without the landlord’s consent in writing [DR225/54].
In 1875 Great Allend Farm was one of the properties included in the sale of the Ullenhall Estate by auction; the farm was in hand, not tenanted at that time [DR1110/33]. The property was either withdrawn from sale, or failed to sell. Around this time the value of land had begun to depreciate and agricultural prospects were poor [DR1110/34].
It therefore remained the property of Rev H.C. Knight and when he died in 1887, his estate was put into the hands of trustees. In 1891 William Hill lived at the farm; he was farm bailiff to the trustees of the estate of the late H.C.Knight.
In 1919 Hall End Farm was one of the properties included in the Ullenhall Estate sale of the late Rev. H. C. Knight, however it was withdrawn from sale. Nevertheless the description of the property from the sale details is interesting:
“Lot11 – An important well-cultivated freehold agricultural estate, known as ‘Hall End Farm’. A suitable farm house, extensive well-arranged farm buildings, eleven enclosures of highly cultivated pasture land and three arable fields. 166a. 13r. 14p. or thereabouts. Let to Mr. T.T. Cox, a Michaelmas tenant, at an apportioned rent of £166 10s 0d per annum.
The accommodation of the House is:-
On the Ground Floor:- Dining Room, Living Room, Kitchen, Dairy, with Cheese Room over, good Pantry and dry Cellar, Vegetable Store, Milk House, two earth closets, Coal Place.
On the First Floor:- Approached by good landing are five Bedrooms and two Clothes Closets.
There is a good Kitchen Garden and well-stocked Orchard.
The Farm Buildings, which are in an excellent state of repair, surround a spacious open yard, and consist of two pigsties and cistern, six-tie cow house, four-stall cart horse stable, two loose boxes (partitions, mangers and racks are the property of the tenant), large granary, nine-tie cow house, three-tie cow house, two-tie cow house, six-tie cow house, in the field adjoining the Farm, o.s. no. 231, is a bull pen, open cattleshed, and two fenced in yards”.
The 1911 census shows that farmer Herbert William Cox lived at Hall End Farm along with his wife Dorothy, and their one year old son, Herbert Leonard. By 1921 [Kellys Directory] Frederick Tom Cox, Herbert William’s brother is listed as a farmer at Hall End Farm, and he is listed in Kellys Directories up to the last edition of Kellys in 1940.
Hamlet Cottage, Grimshaw Hill
A document [DR225/22] relating to the estate of Robert Knight of Barrells, dated 1808, shows that Heath Farm was part of this estate. The tenant was Francis Heming who paid £50 per annum to rent the 74 acres.
In 1843 (tithe map & schedule), with Robert Knight still being the owner of the property, the occupier was a John Moore, a farmer, who lived there with his family.
In 1851 it was occupied by Henry Edward Tarleton. It was still part of the Barrells Estate, being included in the Barrells Estate sale of 1856.
It was purchased by Mr. William Palmer. Henry Edward Tarleton must have continued as his tenant as he was still farming at Heath Farm in 1861 (census), but left the farm in 1864 selling all his farming stock:
“IMPORTANT AND UNRESERVED SALE of FARMING STOCK, at HEATH FARM, ULLENHALL . . . TO BE SOLD BY AUCTION, BY FALLOWS and SMITH, on WEDNESDAY NEXT, the 23rd day of March, the property of Mr. Tarleton, who is leaving the Farm, at Eleven o’clock in the morning – the whole of the LIVE and DEAD FARMING STOCK, comprising five powerful Wagon Horses and their Tackle, fourteen in-calf Cows, two Cows and Calves, Heifer, two-year old Bull, three promising Colts, eight Sheep, Sow and Pigs, two fat Pigs, two Gilts, six Wagons and Carts, four Carts, Ploughs, Harrows, Drills, Scuffles, and numerous other Implements and Effects; lot of OATS, HAY, and a variety of Effects; . . . [The Birmingham Journal 19th March 1864]
Following the death of Mr Palmer, Heath Farm was part of his estate which was put up for auction in 1869:
“Lot 4 – Comprises a beautifully situated ESTATE, known as “THE HEATH FARM”, Ullenhall, with the fine Old HOMESTEAD, &c. thereon, now in the occupation of Mr. William Kidger, as an annual tenant, around which lies about 176 acres of chiefly sound Old TURF and MEADOW LAND.
This Farm is most conveniently situated, being bounded on two sides by good roads, therby affording easy access to the greater part of the Fields.
The House is pleasantly placed near the centre of the Farm. It contains Parlour, Sitting Room, Hall, Kitchen, and Scullery, two Dairies, Ale and Wine Cellars, five Chambers, and Cheese Room.
The Agricultural Buildings are very numerous, and among them are two Cow Sheds to tie up twenty-three Cows, eight-stalled Stable and Loft, Cart Shed, Wagon Hovel, double-bay Barn, Calf House, three Pigsties, Blacksmith’s Shop, Coach-house, two-stalled Hackney Stable, Loose Box, Saddle Room, &c., with large Fold and Rick Yards, two full-bearing Orchards, and good Garden.
There is also a COTTAGE and GARDEN, and a recently built Feeding Shed for ten Beasts, enclosed Yard, &c., on the Property.
This lot forms a conveniently sized Farm, divided into suitable enclosures, the greater part lies very high and dry, and from some parts of the Estate most extensive and varied views are obtained of the lovely surrounding country.
There are two or three capital Fish Ponds, as also Game Covers, and the whole forms as compact and attractive a Farm as can be met with for some miles of the spot.
Part of the Land also extends to the village of Ullenhall, thereby increasing its value and reducing the distance to Henley-in-Arden”.
[The Birmingham Daily Post & Journal – 10th July 1869]
T.H.G. Newton of Barrells Park bought all the property at the auction [Berrow’s Worcester Journal 31st July 1869]. By 1871 William Hanker was farming the land.
The present building is in the late Victorian style and it is likely that it was rebuilt in its present form, as a tornado badly damaged the original house in 1873.
“1873, June 10 – A Tornado in Warwickshire. – The Birmingham Morning News says that on this day . . . a perfect tornado seems to have visited some of the rural villages in Central Warwickshire. . . . In the little village of Ullenhall the homestead of Mr. Hanker suffered serious injury. The house was unroofed, cowsheds and piggeries were destroyed, many of the trees in the garden and orchard torn up, and some of them carried to a distance of 200 yards, two straw ricks were carried bodily across a wheat field, and the whole neighbourhood round was strewn with fragments and debris of various kinds. Mr Hanker saw the whirlwind coming towards his farm, “The air was thick with broken boughs,” he says, “and the roar sounded like the cawing of thousands of noisy rooks.” With great presence of mind Mr. Hanker called his family and servants from the house, and conveyed them to a shed at the rear, believing that the house itself, which stood exposed to the full fury of the tornado, must suffer very considerably. Nor was he mistaken. Windows were smashed in, and much damage was done to the roof and interior of the dwelling. . . .” (History Gazetteer & Directory of Warwick 1874).
William Hanker continued farming at Heath Farm as he and his family are still shown to be residing there in 1881 but soon he was having financial difficulties. “William Hanker, late of Heath Farm, in the hamlet of Ullenhall, and Trapp’s Green Farm, in the hamlet of Aspley, both in the parish of Wootton Wawen, in the county of Warwick, farmer; but now in lodgings at the cottage of Mary Hanker, spinster, in the parish of Tanworth, in the said county of Warwick, out of business, filed his petition for liquidation, with liabilities estimated at £500., and assets not yet ascertained. Mr. C. H. Jagger, of 44, Cherry Street, is solicitor for the debtor”. [The Daily Post, Tuesday 21 March, 1882].
It is not clear when the property was sold by the Newtons; it is not in the sale of the Barrells Estate 1919, 1924 or 1925.
In the early twentieth century Henry Pugh farmed Heath Farm. In the 1920s and 30s James Barratt farmed there followed by his son, Alfred, who lived at Heath Farm Bungalow. Alf’s wife Emily was the village schoolteacher. In the 1970s Sir Godfrey and Lady Messervy bought Heath Farm. Following the death of Sir Godfrey, Lady Messervy sold the property in 1997.
Heath Lodge, originally known as ‘Grove Cottage’ formed part of the estate of Mr. William Palmer Esq, which was put up for auction in 1869. In 1856 William Palmer had purchased property and land that had been part of the Barrels Estate; at that time there was no building where Heath Lodge stands.
On the 1861 census Thomas Cave (Gamekeeper) is listed as living at Grove Cottage, along with his wife, Sarah, and a niece, Ann Palmer, aged 4. He was presumably maintaining the estate for William Palmer, who perhaps just used the property during the shooting season.
In 1869 the property was described thus:
“Lot 1 – All that recently-erected GOTHIC RESIDENCE, known as ‘GROVE COTTAGE’, heretofore occupied by the late William Palmer, Esq, as a Shooting and Sporting Box, charmingly situated on an eminence, from which a most extensive and varied view is obtained of the adjacent picturesque country surrounded by upwards of Forty-six Acres of beautifully undulating Park-like Grounds, studded with fine-grown Timber Trees, and enclosing a well-stocked ornamental Lake, also some judiciously-placed Plantations and Groves of valuable and choice Trees, the whole forming one of the most attractive and desirable country Retreats ever offered to the public in the Midland district.
The Residence is approached from the road leading from the Birmingham and Alcester Turnpike Road through Ullenhall Street to Henley-in-Arden. It contains Dining, Drawing, and Breakfast Rooms of good dimensions, Hall, Pantry, Kitchen. There is also a separate Kitchen, Scullery, Pantry, &c., now occupied by the Gardener, but which forms part of the Residence. In the basement are four dry Ale and Wine Cellars. On the first floor there are six good Chambers, two Dressing Rooms, Water Closet. &c, approached by two Staircases; and three Attics on the second floor.
The Out-buildings comprise good Coach-house and Stable, Dogkennels, and other Out-offices; Greenhouse, tastefully laid-out Lawn, and well-planted Garden. There is also an enclosed Yard and Outbuildings, perfectly screened, in the Park Grounds.
The House and Grounds are in perfect order, and fit for immediate occupation.
The neighbourhood is justly celebrated for its natural loveliness, salubrity of atmosphere, and fertility of its soil, and the contemplated early opening of the Henley-in-Arden Railway makes it a most desirable Property for either investment or occupation. . . . To view the Estate, apply to Mr. Cave, at the Shooting Box”. [The Birmingham Daily Post 10/7/1869].
The property was purchased by T.H.G. Newton of Barrells Hall. By 1871 his two unmarried sisters, Elizabeth (31) and Mary Rosa (28) were living at Heath Lodge. Mary Rosa married in 1875, but Elizabeth continued to live there until her death in 1907.
On the death of Elizabeth Newton, it is not clear who owned the property. It does not seem to have been part of Hugh Newton’s Barrells Estate, so was not included in any of those sales.
In 1911 William and Alice Laing were living at Heath Lodge with their children Reginald and Margaret; and a housemaid, Florence Cooper, and cook, Harriet Cartwright. William Laing was a newspaper proprietor (1911 census). It is not clear whether they owned or rented the property, but in 1917 the property was advertised to let:
“Heath Lodge, Ullenhall . . . entrance hall, lounge hall, smoke room, dining and drawing rooms, all with south aspect and modern well-grates; six bed-rooms, two maids’ rooms, bath room, &c., well-arranged domestic offices; first class decorative repair; motor garage, coach-house and stabling; delightful grounds, kitchen garden, pool and boat-house, lodge; excellent drainage; electric light – Edwards, Son and Bigwood, 158 Edmund Street” [Birmingham Daily Post 15/09/1917].
In the 1920s Major John Fowler Bradbury and his wife lived at Heath Lodge: “Mrs. Bradbury’s London Successes – On Wednesday and Thursday of last week Mrs. J. F. Bradbury, of Heath Lodge, showed two dogs at the Kennel Club, Crystal Palace. With both of them signal victories were scored. The Afghan hound, Dil-Chasb of Cove, an eleven-months-old bitch of rare symmetry and grace, and with a coat of wonderful texture, secured two second prizes in the limit bitch and the open bitch classes. Her other entry, the playful and friendly three-year-old Dachshund bitch, Seraphina, secured two firsts and a challenge card. Mrs. Bradbury is heartily to be congratulated on her success. The dogs are housed in ideal surroundings at Heath Lodge, where there are at present nineteen canine inhabitants under the vigilant care of Miss Donne. In addition to the Afghan hound and a number of Dachshunds, Mrs. Bradbury has several gigantic wolf hounds. Then there are three greyhounds, speedy looking beauties, one a three-year-old and the others under one year. To see the greyhounds flying round their big enclosure, the older dog leading the two youngsters, is to appreciate something of the fascination of greyhound racing. Mrs. Bradbury has not yet raced her greyhounds, but will possibly do so at a later date”.
Heath Lodge, together with around 50 acres of land, was sold by auction in 1935 by order of the executors of the late Mr. E. W. Bradbury. In the Yard “with double gates from the road, are EXCELLENT GARAGE (17ft x 11ft), COACHHOUSE, two-stall STABLE, ENGINE HOUSE with Crossley engine and electricity generating plant, including dynamo, by Cutting Bros., and 14-cell storage in Battery Room adjoining, and two Pigsties. Water is obtained from a well and is lifted to tanks by a force pump”. [DR165/1099]
It was perhaps at this point, or just after the war, that the property was bought by Sir Arthur Betram Waring, and his wife, Lady Waring. He was a former chairman of Lucas Industries.
After 1935 the property underwent some alterations. The most dramatic being the cladding of the exterior to resemble a Tudor style residence.
Heath Park, Forde Hall Lane
Alf Barrett (whose father owned Heath Farm) married Miss Emily Pace (village school teacher) in 1931 and they lived in the newly built bungalow known as Heath Farm Bungalow (source: Parish Magazine May 1989). When Mr Barrett died in 1989 the bungalow was sold and replaced by a new house, Heath Park.
Henley House see New Lathrup
Designed in early 1964 by Mr Gooding (the architect of Longmead Cottage), the building plot was subsequently sold to Mr Cyril Pinfold in April 1965 for £2,750.
Hole House see Mount Pleasant House
Hope Cottage was originally two cottages which pre date 1843, as they are on the tithe schedule of that date.
In 1901 the Dodd family lived in one of the cottages and the Harris family the other. They were still living there in 1911. Mark Dodd was 63 and an agricultural labourer; his wife, Harriet, was 59; their eight year old grandson, William Dodd, also lived with them. William Harris was 79, a farm labourer who lived in the cottage with his wife Ann, and two of their children, Thomas who was 44 years old and a farm labourer, and Elizabeth who was 33 years old and a general servant. Each cottage had four rooms (the 1911 census asked people to write down the number of rooms they had. The instructions were to count the kitchen as a room but do not count scullery, landing, lobby, closet, bathroom; nor warehouse, office, shop). They appear to have been two up – two down cottages.
The door to the second cottage was next to the passageway door, and was blocked up when the two cottages were converted in to one, which was probably during the 1960s.
Hunger Hill House, Hunger Hill
Hunters Moon, Gentlemans Lane
The original Hunters Moon replaced a cottage known as Mockley View Cottage. This Hunters Moon was sold in 1999 and replaced by another house, still known as Hunters Moon.
“Impsley is a timber-framed house probably of the 16th century with later additions. John Whateley was living there in 1616, and John Tarlton, Yeoman, in 1768. Thomas Cooper resided there from 1815 until his death in 1847 and was succeeded by his son, William”. [Henley-in-Arden, Cooper W., 1946 p161].
William Cooper was still farming there in 1876 [Kelly’s], but by 1888 [Kelly’s] Benjamin Hooper had taken over. Frederick George Bagshawe farmed there from c1892-c1916 [Kelly’s], followed by Reginald Wright [Kelly’s 1921;1924], and Herbert Badcock [Kelly’s 1936;1940].
In 1813, when it was still occupied by John Tarlton, the Impsley Estate was purchased by Robert Knight from Revd Samuel Mister [DR225/91]. It consisted of around 75 acres divided into ten enclosures. It therefore formed part of the Barrels Estate, and was included in the sale of the estate in 1856.
Impsley Farm became part of the Muntz’s Umberslade Estate and was included in the auction sale of ‘The outlying portions of the Umberslade Estate’, which took place on 7th September 1916: “Lot 5 – A Pleasantly-situated Small FREEHOLD DAIRY FARM, known as ‘IMPSLEY’, on the Stratford Road near Henley-in-Arden and Botley Hill Plantation”. [Birmingham Daily Post 22/07/1916]. Comprising of a dwelling house, farm buildings and 90a 2r 25p of land, it sold for £2,500 [Birmingham Daily Post 08/09/1916].
James Farm, Tanworth Lane
On the tithe schedule of 1843, the field where James’s Farm is now situated is called Barn Close Barn & c, the land being pasture. There appears to be no house there at that time, just a barn. The land was owned by John Willington Tarlton and occupied by John Gibbs. Other adjacent fields were also owned by John Willington Tarlton and occupied by John Gibbs – four identified as James’s Close; one as James’s Meadow; and one as House Close and House.
This land and property was part of an auction advertised in 1839. It was presumably purchased by John Willington Tarlton, since the tithe schedule shows him to be the owner.
“To be sold by auction by Messrs Chesshire and Sons, at the White Swan, Henley-in-Arden, aforesaid, on Monday the first day of July . . .
5. All those six Closes of rich Arable, Meadow, and Pasture Land, heretofore called Harding’s Fields, and now known by the names of James’s Meadow, North Field, Blue Field, Barn Field, with a substantial Barn, Cowsheds, and Yards thereon, Brook Close, Davis’s Close, and a roomy and comfortable Cottage and Garden, situate in Ullenhall aforesaid, and fronting the road leading from Henley to Tanworth, now occupied by Mr. Hollis and James Davis, and containing 35 3 21
. . .”
[Birmingham Gazette 3/6/1839].
The 1887 os map shows James’s Farm in its current location. A newly erected building was offered for auction in 1850.
“VERY DESIRABLE SMALL FREEHOLD FARM. To be SOLD by AUCTION, by Messrs CHESSHIRE and SON, at the White Swan Inn, at Henley-in-Arden, Warwickshire, on Monday next the 9th day of September, at four o’clock in the afternoon – all that newly-erected MESSUAGE or TENEMENT, BARN, STABLE, COW-HOUSES, HOVELS, PIGGERIES, and other BUILDINGS, all in excellent repair; and also all those six Closes of most superior LAND, viz.
Barn Field (Pasture) 5 3 1
James’s Meadow (Meadow) 8 2 21
North Field (Pasture) 4 0 37
Blue Field (Arable) 4 2 12
Brook Close (Arable) 5 0 36
Davis’s Close, with Orchard (Pasture) 7 1 34
35 3 21
Situated in the hamlet of Ullenhall in the parish of Wootten Wawen, in the county of Warwick; now occupied by Mr. Endall.
The House is a comfortable one, most pleasantly situated, and with a small outlay would be suitable for a respectable Family. It is only a mile from Henley-in-Arden, and twelve miles from Birmingham.
The Estate is well Timbered.
There is a valuable Mine of Clay under James’s Meadow.
For further particulars apply to Messrs. Tarleton and Newton, Solicitors, 9, Cherry-street; or to the Auctioneers, Temple-row, Birmingham”.
[Aris’s Birmingham Gazette 2/9/1850]
In 1892 Richard Taylor was farming at James Farm. [Kelly’s Directory].
James Farm was included in the auction sale of ‘The outlying portions of the Umberslade Estate’, which took place on 7th September 1916: “Lot 6 A FREEHOLD AGRICULTURAL PROPERTY called JAMES’S FARM, near the Bird-in-Hand on the main Stratford Road”. [Birmingham Daily Post 22/07/1916]. Comprising of a farmhouse, buildings and 63a 1r 16p of land, it sold for £1,700 [Birmingham Daily Post 08/09/1916].
At this time the tenant was John Voce, who came to the farm c1896-1900 (Kellys Directory). In 1911, he was 53 years old and lived there with his wife, Annie; daughters, Gertrude (19) and Doris (13); and niece and nephew, Georgina Millward (19) and Dick Brown (10). Gertie Voce was a teacher; she had been a monitress at Ullenhall School from 1904-1906, and there is a photograph of her with some of the schoolchildren in 1905.
John Voce was still farming James Farm in 1924, but had left by 1932 [Kelly’s Directory]. He was followed by Arthur Herring [Kelly’s 1932] and Hubert Forster [Kelly’s 1936;1940].
Jubilee Cottage see King Thorpe Lodge
King Thorpe Lodge
Brickyard Cottage appears on the 1843 Tithe Map as a ‘Cottage and garden’. It is likely that it became a brickyard in the mid 19th Century as the 1861 Census shows George Knight and family living there; George Knight’s occupation is given as a Brickmaker. On the 1886 OS Map the area is described as ‘Brickworks’ and a Kiln is also indicated on the site.
It was included in Barrells Estate sale, June 26th 1919 and the Barrells Estate sale, October 23rd 1924 where it sold for £290. At some point it was named Jubilee Cottage and was demolished in 1993 and replaced by King Thorpe Lodge.
In September 1954 John Earle sold an area of land with planning permission to build two houses, Stonecott and Latchetts, to Pheobe Lodder and Albert Wileman.
A house called Farfield was built in the late 1930s, after her marriage, by Florrie Hodges (nee Bomber) whose father farmed Mount Pleasant Farm. It was built on a piece of Mount Pleasant land that was furthest from the farmhouse. (source: Parish Magazine Aug 1986)
This house was extended c.1980. In 2011/12 it was demolished and replaced with a new house. The name was changed to Lawnfield c2016.
Lazenby, Tanworth Lane
Little Hall, Blunts Green
Little Hall End Farm, Blunts Green
A document [DR31/vol11a/16] dating from the eighteenth century (exact date unknown) shows that there was a house on the site of Little Hall End Farm. The house along with ten adjoining fields totalling 50a 2r 10p was known as ‘Clarages Farme’. This document is amongst records connected to surveys of the Archers of Umberslade estates and has ‘John Tarlton of Hall End’ later added to it in pencil.
A sketch plan [DR225/95], the date of which could be 1837, shows that the house, referred to as ‘Hall End Farm’, along with 65 acres of land was in the holding of John Tarlton.
This was probably the John Tarleton known as ‘John Tarleton of Hall End’ who was born in 1782 and died in 1846. His grave is at the Old Chapel. His father or grandfather, both also called John Tarleton, may have also had connections with the property.
On the 1843 tithe map the property is described as ‘homestead, buildings &c’. The owner was Robert Knight so it was part of the Barrels Estate; the occupier was Thomas Cooper. It is unlikely that he was living there, as Thomas Cooper also occupied nearby Impsley Farm. In 1768 a John Tarlton lived at Impsley Farm, John Tarleton of Hall End’s grandfather was known as John Tarlton of Impsley.
Little Hall End Farm was included in the Barrels Estate sale of 1856 as part of Lot 5, along with Impsley Farm.
In 1946 Mr and Mrs Cooke moved to Little Hall End Farm along with their sons Roger and Philip. Roger began to farm the land whilst at the same time helping his brother Philip, an architect, to modernise and improve the house. Sadly Philip died a few years later. As a farmer Roger specialised in the production of a small quantity of high quality milk from his Jersey herd. He died in 1989. [Parish Magazine April 1990].
Lodge Cottage, Grimshaw Hill see The Lodge House
Stankley Hill was originally part of the Barrells Hall estate adjacent to the Hall’s garden on its western boundary. Various parts of the estate were sold during the 1920’s and 17 acres of Stankley Hill were acquired by Mr William Fieldhouse of Austy Manor.
In September 1925 Mr Fieldhouse sold the land to a Mary Hodgkins of Beaudesert Park farm for £610. In September 1932 Mary sold a small parcel of land which then contained a bungalow (Windfalls) to Alfred Henry Hodgkins for £50. This he later sold to Lionel Augustus Green. Following Mary’s death in April 1945 her representatives sold a further piece of land to Lionel Green for £53 10s which was adjacent to his house and garden.
John Earle, local auctioneer and estate agent purchased in December 1946 the remainder of Stankley Hill, 16 acres, for £1,600.
A 1.58 acre building plot adjacent to Windfalls was purchased by Mr Leslie Jameson, from Mr Earle, in July 1953 for the sum of £612 2s 6d. The three bedroom detached house, Longmead Cottage, was built with bricks that were allegedly reclaimed from the derelict Barrells Hall. The architect was Mr Gooding.
An area of land fronting the Henley Road was sold by Mr Earle in September 1954 to Pheobe Lodder and Albert Wileman with permission to build two houses now known as Latchetts and Stonecott.
It would appear that a further building plot, Treboro House, was built prior to 1956 and its owners, Mr and Mrs Philip Dyer purchased the remaining 11.4 acres of Stankley Hill from Mr Earle. This transaction occurred in January 1956.
Philip’s wife, Cecilia Dyer, disposed of the 11.4 acre field to Mr Colin Bushell of Church Park farm in July 1959 for £1,097 10s.
Mr Jameson died in January 1960 and his widow subsequently sold Longmead Cottage to Mr Gooding its architect for £10,500 in November 1964. However, just prior to this purchase, Mr Gooding had obtained planning permission to build another house on the front garden (High Quest). In April 1965 this plot of 2,126 sq yds was sold to Mr Cyril Pinfold for the sum of £2,750. The plot is the subject of a covenant that precludes the erection of any buildings, or trees and shrubbery that exceed a height of five feet. It is believed that this was to protect the view of the Ullenhall church from Windfalls.
Richard and Jill Evans purchased Longmead in September 1974 at a cost of £28,700. The plot extended to 1.13 acres.
Planning permission was granted in 1979 and a first floor extension to provide an extra double bedroom and shower room was subsequently built.
In December 1981 Trevor and Joan Bucknall bought Longmead for £77,000. During 1985 a substantial extension was carried out which added, on the ground floor, a dining room, car port and a three car garage. The first floor extension gave a large master bedroom, ensuite bathroom, dressing room and a further double bedroom. The car port also gave vehicular access to the rear garden.
The garden was extended in October 1991 with the purchase of 0.3 acres of Stankley field from Mr Colin Bushell at a cost of £9,000. In addition a small paddock of 0.4 acres was purchased, from Mr and Mrs Smith of Windfalls, for £14,000.
Permission was granted in 1999 for a further extension at the rear of the property to facilitate a much enlarged living room and on the first floor extend a double bedroom and provide ensuite shower rooms for adjacent bedrooms. Initially the extension to the kitchen was built and a revised plan for the remaining living room and bedroom extension received planning permission in April 2004 and work completed in 2007. As part of this work the opportunity was taken to convert the car port into a study with access via the living room.
(Information provided by Trevor Bucknall)
The Lodge was built c.1870 and was the North Lodge to Barrells Hall. It was renovated and extended in the early 1960s. In 2000 the then owner of Barrells Park, Mr John Saville, put Barrells Park House, the Stable Cottage & Coach House, Barrells Park Lodge, and the Old Barrells Hall Ruin up for sale. The Lodge was purchased as a separate lot, demolished in 2005 and replaced by ‘Luxborough House’.